Monday, May 24, 2010

It all started with a dream I had...


An idea. An idea that wakes you up from a sound sleep with a sense of purpose. I had dreamt up a business.

I spent the rest of the night trying to get back to sleep. It was to no avail. Inevitably every time I closed my eyes my mind would wander back to the idea. Twisting it, tweaking it. Filling in the holes. Adding the details that would give it substance. Making the dream, the idea, something I could get my arms around. Something I could build...but I knew I couldn't do it alone. I needed a team.

Team Building

So where do poor, uninformed thirty-somethings who know nothing about business go when they need manpower? Why they go to their poor, uninformed thirty-something friends who know nothing about business. It's no wonder we're all poor, we're all drawing from the same empty well! But while we all may be ignorant in the world of money and business, we do have two strong common traits. Grit and Loyalty. We've got those in spades.

My team consisted of myself and three of my best friends. I arranged a meeting with them and set to work doing my homework. How do you start an on-line business, anyways?

God bless the Internet

Man do I love me some Google. I was able to find quite the bounty of knowledge. If you are reading this blog to try and find your own way, I can't recommend enough the video series How to Start an Internet Business. It's a ten part series that was just dynamite. Why read about stuff when some guy with a pleasant British accent can read it to you? Like I said, God bless the internet.

The First Meeting

Only two of my three new associates came to the meeting. It had taken exactly one week to lose 33% of my new team. Nothing like getting off to a smooth start, huh? What made it even better, they had huge concerns with my 'Big Idea'! If I wanted to talk to someone who thought my ideas were hair-brained I'd have just talked to my wife, thank you very much.

Luckily we had all done quite a bit of homework and were able to bounce around some other ideas. We had good discussion about what we wanted from our business. We set some goals, assigned some tasks, and agreed to meet again in two weeks. I don't know if we were necessarily moving forward, but damnit, we were certainly moving in some direction! As we were about to break Joe, one of my two remaining partners, told us that he had read a great book on business that he highly recommend we check out. That book was Rich Dad Poor Dad. In my next post I'll tell you how it changed my way of thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment